Visitors from overseas very often come back saying that San Francisco was the American city that left the greatest impression on them. Amongst America's great cities, it is one of the most valued treasures, and a veritable first date amusement park.
If you are going on a first date in this lively, atmospheric city, there is a plethora of night spots, restaurants and cafes to enjoy, but if you are to do something a little different, here are a few ideas for a first date in one of America's most loved locations…
* Golden Gate Park is a place where there's no shortage of things to do and see. It's a great, low key place to meet a first date and then take in what its 1017 acres has to offer. With the Conservatory of Flowers, the touching tribute of the AIDS Memorial Grove, the De Young Museum, and the beautiful Stow Lake and Japanese Tea Garden – Golden Gate Park is an ideal first date venue. And don’t forget to check out the bison in Bison Paddock, who have been living on Golden Gate Park since 1891.
* Feel like upping the ante of your first date? Then a ghost tour may do the trick or treat. You can tour the supernatural sights of San Francisco Chinatown's or, for the more daring spirits (pun intended), there is the Vampire Tour of the Nob Hill area.
* Take in an art-house movie – San Francisco is a city known for its alternative culture, so get with the spirit of the city by choosing an independent flick. But remember – always be flexible when choosing a movie with your date, you don’t want to be seen as the domineering type incapable of compromise.
* The Museum of Modern Art always has an exhibition or event of interest to take in. Add some culture to your first date as you check out the amazing works by American artists like Jackson Pollock. Budget daters take note – it's free to get into the Museum of Modern Art on the first Tuesday of every month, while admission is half-price on Thursday evenings between 6 pm and 8.45pm.
* San Francisco Bay Area offers many outdoor activities that can make a date great. Take the 90-minute scenic drive to the wildlife reserve Ano Nuevo State Park. To get there, take the State Highway and head south out of the city.
* Try a Napa Valley Wine Tour. It's only one-and-half hours or so from the city and is guaranteed to create a memorable first date. There are numerous other options and you can tour California's wine country by limo, bus, carriage, train or take the date to dizzying heights on a hot air balloon.